HOW I FIXED MY CREDIT
Simple steps I took over two years to repair my credit. If you follow these instructions, you can achieve it, too! I was unable to get a cell phone in my name because of my poor credit. I started with a credit score of 536 two years ago. It's up to 730+ and counting currently!
1. The first thing I did was pay off any debt that I owed, or challenged it. Most of my debt w hospital bills and other miscellaneous inquiries. I paid them ALL off. PAY off all debts you know you owe, and KEEP all receipts of payments. Once it’s paid, you can have those negative things removed from your credit file altogether. (explained below)
2. My friend told me about this company, first premier bank. They have secured credit cards. A secured credit card is basically a set amount you can spend a month. My spending limit was $300. I only used it to pay for gas, food, and simple things. I paid the bill every month, and my credit increased drastically. I’ve had this card for four years now, and I still use it. It’s a permanent trade line with excellent payment history, which is great for your credit score.
3. I used a company called Lexington Law to remove all of the negative inquiries from my credit history. It took them about a year to do so. Once everything was removed, I started my real journey. I went and got a car, it wasn’t anything fancy. It was a Chevy Malibu! I kept it for 2 years, paid the bill on time, and when the lease was up, my credit score had shot up to a 700 in 1 years time.
4. Now I have American Express and first premier bank credit cards! I only use my credit cards to pay for miscellaneous things! (gas, food, clothes, etc) You never want to max out your credit cards. Keep the usage low, (below 30%) this way you won't end up in major credit card debt.
Update March 2023: I no longer have the first premier bank credit card since I have accomplished my credit goals. I now only use my American Express credit card.
- *Always pay your bills on time. Set up auto pay on everything which will help you never miss a payment.
- *If you know someone with good credit history with credit cards, you can ask them to add you as an authorized user on their account. Their history will reflect on your account.
- *Don't expect instant results. This takes time. It took me 3 years to get to a 742 credit score. Be patient and stay on top of everything.
You don't have to pay someone thousands of dollars to this for you. The information is out there for FREE, you just need to research it. A Goddess always stays on top of her affairs. I’m not an expert and I can’t guarantee that it will work for you, but it should! It will take some time but it can be done!
I’m just starting this journey and I tried before,but Out of Order. Pay off debt 1st. Also, there’s Resolve Credit which helps you dispute for FREE. Or for donating. LexLaw was too much for me and costs about $150 to 250 per month, and if you haven’t paid off all your debts it’s a huge waste of $ and time. Experian helps for free and there is also Merrick Banks double your line card(not secured),and it’s good,as long as you stay disciplined. I have to do the secured card now cause we bec@me homeless last year due to dv. Today I am fully employed again, paying off debt and saving for a place. As a single mom(full-time) to a wonderful,strong, capable son with a disability and both parents (mine) ill (father is stage 4), it’s hard daily. But I let it motivate me. I applied for housing help. I advocate for my child and myself. And I am doing the work to heal and break generational trauma/abuse. As long as I keep going on this path and I stay disciplined and focused the outside will match the inside in the near future. But at my lowest point last year somebody, a very kind beautiful strong black woman told me I’m a goddess and then I found this page. So I bought a keychain and I put a sticky note on my mirror to remind myself that I already am. Money is great but it isn’t everything. It doesn’t define your worth. Ty for your blog and I hope you achieve your goals!
Thank you for being open and honest! You inspire me everyday!
Thank you love you are really an inspiration to me ❤️Keep being epic Sheneka
Thank you so much! I’d also like to add another secured credit card company called Open Sky, they’re good too!
Thank you immensely Sheneka for always sharing, caring and helping to build us women up to be the best version of ourselves!!! I am grateful for u and I will definitely take this advice and implement them in my life because I must get my credit weight up!!!Again, Thanks soo so much!!! 💕